Wednesday 1 April 2009

The first run in six months

What struck me this evening was that when I'd made the decision to go out, and put on the gear, I was aware of feeling excited about the prospect - in a way that a visit to the gym, or getting out the Wii, has never managed to do.

So... I did it. The old favourite route to Morton Hall and back, past quiet fields and confused cows, a pinprick of red sunset through the trees. Cool after a beautifully warm day.

The way there always was easier - it's mostly downhill. Did that in one hit, but stopped at the top of the long drive on the way back. The final stretch was very hard work. Kept going; managed 1.75 miles in a total of exactly 19 minutes' running time (10:51 pace); breathing extremely heavy by the end.

The breathing was ragged. The muscles in the front of the thighs ache. I was pretty wobbly on my return.

But I did it. And I had missed it so, so badly.



Oh, and if you're wondering where the blonde has gone... the hair has been coloured for The Play. The blonde will be back in a few weeks' time!

2 comments:

SAM said...

delighted to have you back in the land of the runners.

Nikki said...

I'm glad to hear you are back running too! You won't believe it, but just the day before you started posting again I was thinking of you and wondering how things are going for you, and I looked to see if you had started a different blog or something! It was lovely to see you start posting again! Good luck with the return to running - I am also making tentative plans for a return to form during the Easter holidays!