Tuesday 26 June 2007

One mile good, two miles better

After a rather "bitty" day in which I didn't feel I'd achieved very much - except getting my hair cut, and that was the hairdresser's achievement, not mine - I was about to change into something sloppy-joe for the evening before tidying up, and realised I'd meant to go for a run. Previous incarnations would've given up at that point and had a severe fit of the soddits; but it didn't feel too difficult to put down the sloppy-joes and pick up the running kit. Especially as it wasn't actually raining (unlike most times I've ventured out recently).

I deliberately kept it low-key, slow but with reasonably long strides, working on the Run Easy principle, and enjoyed it. Not only that, but for the first time I did the whole two miles - down to Morton Hall and back again - in one hit; and frankly, it felt easier when I didn't pause in between. My usual routine has been to stop at the halfway point, stretch, get breath back and set off again. This time I just kept going, and keeping the pace gentle meant that the two mile stretch was fine. Better still, I managed it in just under twenty minutes.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've run two miles in one hit since the Race for Life. Even my longer runs at the Lakes have been a maximum of three half-mile circuits before stopping.

No comments: