Saturday 31 March 2007

The background: 1992-1996

I remarried in 1995. At that time, I was falling prey to the classic "eat-because-I'm-happy" syndrome. We had lots of meals out, lots of wine, and the weight climbed. Note the carefully unshaped wedding dress.

Finally, in May 1996, I reached a (then) all-time-high of 158lb (11-4), and with it the all-time-low of depression. I decided to do something about it.

I started to walk round the park behind our house; to "stretch" (following some simple exercises from one of the books by she-who-must-be-obeyed, Rosemary Conley) most mornings; and to follow a careful diet.

It worked. By Christmas 1996, I had achieved 133lb (9-7), was wearing a size 12, and had a waist for the first time ever.

Weirdly, I can find hardly any photographs of myself at this time. You'd think that I'd have been out posing for every camera in sight. The only shots I can find at this time show, at least, that I had cheekbones for the first time, too - and that I still couldn't get used to the fact that I didn't need to hide the figure any longer.

No comments: